Dreaming up the perfect name for your Goldendoodle? Finding a name that fits your little bundle of fluff’s personality and appearance can be fun as well as a head-scratcher.
To help you out, Happy-Go-Doodle Chloe (my Goldendoodle pal) and I created a list of Goldendoodle names just right for Doodle dogs.
101 Goldendoodle names organized size and coat color
Since Goldendoodles (a cross between the Golden Retriever and Poodle dog breeds and referred to as “designer dogs” by some) vary in size and coat color, the lists below are organized by physical appearance
We hope this makes it easy for you to find a name that’s a perfect match for your Doodle dog.
A few notes before you get started:
- Since choosing a name is so personal, you’ll find a wide variety of whimsical, cute, and human names for dogs below. From cute names like “Praline” or “Freckles” to descriptive names like “Coton” or “Ruby,” you’ll find the names that characterize your pup perfectly.
- Within each section, you’ll find both Goldendoodle girl names and Goldendoodle boy names.
- For 125 more names, check out part one of our Goldendoodle dog naming series, Best Goldendoodle Dog Names for All Types of Doodles.
The sky is the limit! We hope our list of dog names inspires you! Most of all, we hope that each time you call your Doodle’s name, you’ll be reminded of the lasting love that comes from sharing life with your dog…because Doodles truly are “golden.”
Goldendoodle names by color
Just can’t get over the color of your Goldendoodle’s curly locks (or wavy or loose wavy)? Check out these Goldendoodle names that describe your Dood’s coat color.
Goldendoodle names for pups with cream or white coats
If you’re the proud parent of a white or cream Goldendoodle, you might love these names…
- Coton (or Cotton)
- Aurelia (means “golden”)
- Tater Tot
- Winston (means “white”)
- Nilla (for “Vanilla”)
- Kaki (or Khaki)
- Snicker Doodle
Goldendoodle names for brown or chocolate Goldendoodles
If your little bundle of fluff has a brown or chocolate coat color, you might like these Goldendoodle names…
- Bruno (derived from ‘brun’ meaning “brown”)
- Graham (like the cracker)
Names for Goldendoodles with red coat colors
If you’re the parent of a red Goldendoodle, you may fall for one of these red dog names…
- Rory ( means “red king”)
- Pele (Hawaiian word for “lava”)
Need more inspiration for your little red-haired or ginger puppy? Check out our list of red dog names that are RED-ciously 😉 adorable.
Names for apricot Goldendoodles
If your “kiddoodle” has an apricot coat color, you may fall for one of these names…
- Coral or Cora
- Marigold (or MerryGold)
Names for black Goldendoodles
If your Goldendoodle has a jet black or charcoal coat (or even black and white), these monikers may be the perfect fit for a black Goldendoodle…
Names for multi-colored Goldendoodles
If your Goldendoodle has a merle or multi-colored coat, these dog names may speak to you…
- Paislee (or Paisley)
- Kali (short for a “kaleidoscope” of colors)
Goldendoodle names for standard and mini Doodles
Next, since Goldendoodles range in size from standard Goldendoodles to medium Goldendoodles (see image below) to mini Goldendoodles, you’ll find names organized by your Doodle’s size.
Names for standard Goldendoodles
If your Goldendoodle puppy is on the way to becoming a standard Goldendoodle (i.e. lovable, cover-your-entire-lap sitter), you may love these names…
Names for mini Goldendoodles
Does your heart belong to a mini Goldendoodle? Try one of these names for pint-sized Doodle dogs on for size…
- Bijou (small and elegant)
- Cheery (Cheerio)
- Minnie (or Mini)
- Pickle (sweet ones!)
Bonus! For a little irony, try giving a pint-sized pup a big name (like Hugo) or a large dog a small dog name (like Ladybug).
Tips on how to choose a name that’s a great fit for your Dood
With so many Goldendoodle names to choose from, you may be having trouble choosing the perfect one. Here are some tips to help you narrow down your list:
- Say the name out loud and use it in conversation. Better yet, try calling out each of the names as you say a command. For instance, using an enthusiastic tone of voice, call out “Come, ____!” and say each of the names that you’re debating.
- Consider what’s best for your dog. Many dog experts suggest names that are two syllables. Why? Two-syllable names allow you to add more emotion and inflection as you’re saying it. Dogs love hearing you say their names in a loving voice.
- For your dog’s sake, cross out names on your list that sound too much like a command that you’ll be teaching him or her. For example, “STACY” sounds like “STAY” and the first syllable in “Sidney” could be mistaken for “SIT.”
We hope we’ve inspired you in your search for a name as cute as your little Dood!
- For additional lists of dog names, please check out our post: 250 Best Dog Names Ending in Y.
- For a list of names for your girl puppy, please check out our post: 101 Old-Fashioned Names for Girl Puppy Cuteness.
And if you’re a doodle mom or dad, please check out these articles:
- Top 10 Signs You Might Be a Doodle Dog Fanatic
- What is a Goldendoodle? 100 Doodle Dog Owners Describe the Heart & Soul Behind these Comical Doods
- What the Fluff? All the Real Goldendoodle Stuff You’re Curious to Know
- 7 Golden Lessons This Dog Mom Learned From Raising a Dood
What names should we add to this list?
We’d love to hear! Please comment below!
Monday 17th of September 2018
Ooh, I like the name 'Chiffon.' That is purr-ty sounding. Mom met an orange colored kitty named 'Cookie Dough' on her walk with Bessie the Basset through the neighborhood a couple of weeks ago. That would be a fun name also for a cream-colored doodle doggie.
Monday 24th of September 2018
"Cookie Dough!" That's a sweet name! :)
Tuesday 14th of August 2018
Adorable names for Adoooooorable pups!
Wednesday 15th of August 2018