17 Best Things to Do with Your Dog in Kansas City
Kansas City! Kansas City here we come!
Are you looking for things to do with your dog in Kansas City? If your dog is your best friend, then it’s only natural to plan fun outings and activities that you can do together. (And to see just how “bestie” the two of you are, take our “My Dog is My Best Friend” quiz.) From restaurants to parks to shopping and even doggie bakeries, there are so many dog-friendly activities in the Kansas City area that you and your dog can enjoy together.
While Kansas City is known for its barbecue, baseball, and fountains, its dog-friendly lifestyle is “bark-worthy” too. As your fur-endly tour guide, Happy-Go-Doodle Chloe’s compiled her list of best (and happiest) things to do with your dog in Kansas City. Let’s go find some places to take your dog!
A few notes about our list of dog-friendly activities:
- We chose Crown Center as the “city center” for estimating the distance to each dog-friendly location or activity.
- On our tour of places to take your dog, there are a few locations that accept pets outside only.
- There many seasonal dog-friendly activities and events, so check back with us again. We’ll keep updating our “best of” list.
17 Best Things to Do with Your Dog in Kansas City
1. Weston Bend State Park: Best dog-friendly hiking trail with a beautiful view
- Why does Weston Bend State Park make our list of best things to do with your dog in Kansas City? The scenic view of the Missouri River! Looking down at the river winding through the countryside from the overlook is just one of the highlights of this beautiful state park.
- Distance from Crown Center: 36-minute drive via I-29
2. Watkins Mill State Park: Best dog-friendly hiking trail with an easy paved path
- Why do we recommend Watkins Mill State Park? The views of the lake, the wildlife, and the songbirds. The trail winds around the lake and has an easy walking path. (Before you head out, remember to bring along all the necessities for your furry friend. Here’s our list of supplies to bring on a dog walk.)
- Main walking trail: 3.75-mile loop
- Distance from Crown Center: 37-minute drive via I-35
3. Red Barn Farm: Best dog-friendly fall activity north of Kansas City
If you’re looking for fun things to do with your dog in Kansas City in the fall, picking pumpkins at Red Barn Farm is a festive and picture-worthy outdoor experience.
Be sure to visit the barnyard cuties at Red Barn Farm too!
4. Lidia’s: Best dog-friendly Italian restaurant in Kansas City
- Why do we love Lidia’s as a dog-friendly restaurant in Kansas City? The Italian farmhouse experience, the pasta trio, the brick-paved cozy outdoor patio, and the friendly staff.
- Distance from Crown Center: 5-minute drive.
- The dog-friendly patio is charming but small. If you have a large group and lots of canine companions, we recommend calling ahead to make sure they can accommodate your group.
5. The National World War 1 Museum: Best museum with a dog-friendly outdoor experience
- Why is the National World War 1 Museum on our list of best places to take your dog in Kansas City? Great views, history, and other friendly dogs! While our canine companions aren’t allowed inside the museum, there’s still plenty to see outside. On a sunny KC day, many dog owners take their dogs (on leash) to the museum’s outdoor area to enjoy the views of the KC skyline and to take pics.
- Distance from Crown Center: a 5-minute minute walk.
6. Char Bar: Best dog-friendly restaurant in Kansas City with a fire pit and “backyard”
Char Bar Restaurant: Southern-inspired smokehouse
- What makes Char Bar one of the best dog-friendly spots in KC? The food, laid-back atmosphere, and huge stone fire pit! Plus, the large “backyard” includes games like bocce ball, ping-pong, and croquet for the hoomans.
7. Rock ‘n’ Brews: Best dog-friendly restaurant in Kansas City that caters to dogs
Rock & Brews: Affordable, American comfort food
- What makes Rock & Brews one of the best places to take your dog? They offer a menu specifically for dogs, the dog-friendly patio is spacious, and the servers are very friendly.
- Shopping and eating out? We recommend pairing this restaurant with a trip to Scheel’s. It’s just a short distance away.
8. Scheel’s: Best dog-friendly indoor shopping for outdoor enthusiasts
- Are dogs allowed at Scheels? Yes, “fur” sure! Scheels is dog-friendly and offers dogs and their people plenty of indoor space to walk and check out all the gear for any dog-friendly adventures you may be planning—from kayaking to paddleboarding to hiking. Dog-friendly Scheels combines entertainment with shopping that’s just right for the outdoor enthusiast. Too cold or too rainy for outdoor activities with your furry friend? Try Scheels.
9. Self-guided walls and murals tour: Best impromptu activity
There are many walls and murals around Kansas City. Why not spend a morning or afternoon with your dog and check them out? We’ve included three of our favorites here, but there are many more hidden gems around KC.
Raised Royal Mural
- Why do we love the Raised Royal Mural? Because Chloe’s #RaisedRoyal, of course!
- 25th Street and Southwest Blvd, KCMO
- Distance from Crown Center: 6-minute drive
- Artist: Phil Shafer
Kansas City Gives Mural
- Kansas City Gives Mural
- Why we love this wall? The combination of messaging, graphic design, and the bright color palette!
- Location: Union Hill near Crown Center
- Distance from Crown Center: walking distance, a two-minute drive
Crafted in Kansas City Mural
- Crafted In Kansas City Wall Mural
- Why do we love this wall? With its old-style brick and fun lettering, it’s got a great vibe.
- 2616 Guinotte Ave, Kansas City, MO
- Note: This is off the beaten path
- Distance from Crown Center: 12-minute drive
Tip: Some of the Kansas City walls that have been popular on Pinterest no longer exist. The walls shown in this post are intact as of 2018.
10. Nelson Atkins Museum of Art Sculpture Garden: Best dog-friendly outdoor sculpture garden in Kansas City
- The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art Sculpture Garden is great for dog lovers who enjoy art and the outdoors too. Also, the iconic shuttlecocks, the expansive gardens, the reflective pool, and even the steps up to the museum, all make great backdrops for photos of you and your dog!
- Distance from Crown Center: 9-minute drive
11. Crown Center: Best dog-friendly outdoor patio area in Kansas City
- Why take a break here? It’s a great place to take your dog for a short walk, sit by the fountains, or relax with a cup of coffee.
- No pets along with you? The Crown Center shops, Sea Life Aquarium, and Legoland are adjacent to the patio. (Pets are not allowed in these areas.)
- Additionally, if you’re visiting Kansas City, Crown Center is conveniently located near the pet-friendly Sheraton Hotel.
12. J.C. Nichols Memorial Fountain & Northland Fountain: Best fountains in Kansas City
- The Northland Fountain at NE Vivion Rd and North Oak Trafficway is conveniently located near Anita B. Gorman Park and is easily accessible via I-29.
- If you’re visiting the Country Club Plaza, the JC Nichols Memorial Fountain (47th JC Nichols Pkwy) is a Kansas City icon.
13. Best Kansas City bakery designed for dogs: Three Dog Bakery
- Are all these dog-friendly activities in Kansas City making your dog a little snacky? Stop by the Three Dog Bakery for a decadent treat for your furry friend.
- Two KC locations: The Country Club Plaza (602 W. 48th Street) and Overland Park (7951 W. 160th Street Suite 520, OP, KS)
14. Best dog-friendly hang out: Bar K Dog Bar
Two paws up for KC’s newest dog-friendly hang out! Bar K Dog Bar is a dog bar in Kansas City that combines a fully-staffed dog park with a modern bar, restaurant, and coffeehouse. Also, there are many unique events including dog-friendly yoga, concerts, speakers, and other special programs.
And the best dog-friendly Kansas City season? Baseball season!
15. Best dog-friendly sporting event in Kansas City: Bark at the Park with the Kansas City Royals!
Bring your dog to the ballpark for an evening of baseball! It’s sure to be one of your favorite things to do with your dog in Kansas City. There are four dog-friendly ball games each year, so you can choose the ones that work best for your schedule. Who knows! Maybe your ball-loving pooch will appear on the jumbo screen.
Looking for even more things to do in Kansas City?
You might want to check these Kansas City favorites:
Note: not all places on the list below are dog-friendly.
- Located at the Historic City Market.
- Open every Saturday and Sunday year-round.
- The farmer’s market is not pet-friendly, but it’s still a fun adventure.
Restaurants: (Kansas City classics, but check with the restaurants for their pet policies. )
- Joe’s Kansas City Bar-b-que
- Q 39
- Ponak’s Mexican Kitchen and many other restaurants along Southwest Blvd!
- Blue Koi (for the bubble tea)
Shopping: (While you may not be able to take your dog inside stores, you can take them for walks and window shopping!)
Sightseeing and culture: (Pets are not allowed.)
Thanks for joining us on our tour of the best things to do with your dog in Kansas City! We hope you enjoy all of these dog-friendly places in KC.