Puzzled by how to cut your dog’s black nails?
I was too…until I tried this
Do you know how to cut black dog nails? Are you struggling to find the quick on your dog’s dark colored nails? Most importantly, do you wish nail trims were a happier experience your dog?
If you’re searching for solutions, you’ve come to the right place. And you might be surprised by what I found.
I struggled with trimming my dog’s nails
As a “DIY dog mom,” I enjoy dog care routines because it’s a chance to bond with my furry family member. Chloe, my Goldendoodle dog, and I work as a team on everything from Goldendoodle face trims to daily tooth brushing to dog baths.
But dog nail trims? Cutting Chloe’s dark nails seemed like a daunting task. After an unsuccessful attempt, I was unsure of how to cut black dog nails and I was afraid of hitting the quick.
Here’s what had happened:
When Chloe was younger, I’d attempted cutting her black nails on my own. I wasn’t sure how to find the quick on her dark-colored nails. This made me fearful of cutting the nails too short and hitting the quick (the blood and nerve supply) hidden in the toenail.
And Chloe was fearful because I was fearful.
Rather unwisely, I plunged in using some dog nail clippers I thought would work. I held her paw in my hand and was…
A B O U T T O C U T
T H E F I R S T N A I L W H E N…
…Chloe quickly pulled her paw out of my hand.
Do you know where those dog nail clippers are now? In the back of a junk drawer somewhere.
Since I knew nail trims were critical to her health and mobility, trips to the groomer or vet seemed like the safest plan for both of us.
Problem solved: a new solution
Fast forward a few years to a new discovery: Dr. Julie Buzby’s Nail Trimming Without Fear online training. The more I learned about it, the more confident I became that I’d found a solution that Chloe and I could master together. Taking the training and learning to how to find the quick on dark nails while making the experience positive for Chloe was definitely worth trying!
If you’re ready for happier nail trims for your dog (including step-by-step instructions on how to find the quick on black nails), use the code HAPPYNAILS to save 15% on Dr. Buzby’s nail trimming course. This special offer is for my readers.
Chloe and I watched the nail trimming course together
While online dog training classes were familiar to me, this was the first online dog nail trimming class that I’d seen. In addition to providing online videos and reference guides, I received a dog nail trimming kit (dog nail clippers, styptic powder, and a tip sheet) in the mail as part of the course materials. With the right tools for the job, I was already ahead of the game.
I took the nail trimming course on my laptop with Chloe sitting on the couch beside me. As I watched the course videos of Dr. Buzby demonstrating exactly how to cut black dog nails, I had an ah-ha moment. This was the next best thing to having an expert right in my living room giving me step-by-step coaching. As I watched videos, I became more confident that Chloe and I could do this together.
After sailing through the online training, I’m happy to say that I am an empowered pet parent who has learned how to cut black dog nails and make it a positive, happy experience for Chloe too.
Three paws and a TA-DA! Celebrating successes
Yes, Chloe and I can now add nail trimming to our list of dog care routines! I’m trimming her nails routinely, getting closer the quick, and I’m happy to share that I’ve never hit quick or had to use styptic powder (a clotting agent to stop the bleeding). But what was the difference between our success and my previous attempt when Chloe had pulled her paw away? Through the course, it was clear that I hadn’t set myself up for success. The conventional dog nail trimming method I’d tried was more like a McDonald’s drive-thru: grab the nail trimmers and go!
After taking the course, I had a clear picture of exactly how to cut black dog nails from start to finish including:
- how to set Chloe up for a happy, fear-free experience
- which tools to use (and why not to use guillotine-style nail clippers)
- exactly how to find the quick on black nails to avoid the blood vessels and nerves
- how to make sliver cuts to cut closer to the quick
- which technique to use to cut more of the dog’s toenail
Additionally, Dr. Buzby’s focus on keeping the dog’s entire nail trimming experience positive and happy fit my DIY dog mom philosophy.
On my first try, I trimmed the nails on three out of four paws! Now that Chloe and I are both more confident with nail trims, I know I’ll be able to trim all four paws the next time. We’re a team!
Want to know more about the nail trimming course?
- What is it? Dr. Buzby’s DIY Dog Master Course: Nail Trimming Without Fear is an online, self-guided training course.
- How do you take the course? I recommend taking it on your laptop or any device with a large screen. A small screen like a cell phone is completely fine to use, but I loved being able to pause a video and look at the close-up camera shots (especially of the dark toenails) on a bigger screen.
- What’s included? In addition to three hours of video learning and printed course materials, Dr. Buzby is including her dog nail trimming kit (nail clippers, styptic powder, reference guide, and gift bag) for FREE with course purchase.
- What type of nails will you learn to trim? Dr. Buzby’s demonstrates how to trim dark nails, white nails, puppy nails, and large nails.
- What will you learn? You’ll learn which nail trimming tools to use (and why to avoid guillotine style nail trimmers at all costs), prep tips, how often to trim your dog’s nails, how to cut black dog nails, how to position your dog so that he or she is comfortable for the nail trim, the technique that Dr. Buzby has perfected so that you can trim more of the nail, how to find and avoid the quick so you don’t cut the nails too short, how to trim dew claws, and even which toenails to trim first.
A special offer for my readers: Save 15%
Use my code “HAPPYNAILS” to save 15% on Dr. Buzby’s nail trimming course! Go to courses.drbuzby.com or click here: Dr. Buzby’s DIY Dog Master Course: Nail Trimming Without Fear. Then enter the code HAPPYNAILS at checkout to redeem this offer.
About the instructor, Dr. Julie Buzby
I’d met Dr. Julie Buzby while attending a pet blogging conference. I became an instant fan when I learned about her product, ToeGrips, which help senior and special needs dogs gain traction and mobility on slippery floors. The idea for a nail trimming course grew out of her love for teaching nail trimming techniques to her veterinary clients.
Do you trim your dog’s nails? We’d love to hear. Please comment below!
A happy distraction for your dog!
As a thank you for reading to the end of this article, here’s a pupsicle treat recipe for your dog. It’s one of the happy distractions that Dr. Buzby recommends in her course! Download it and enjoy!
The online giveaway has ended. However, Dr. Buzby has graciously extended her 15% savings on the course for my readers.
One lucky winner received Dr. Buzby’s DIY Dog Master Course: Nail Trimming Without Fear AND Dr. Buzby’s Nail Trimming Kit.