Nothing could paw-sibly be cuter than dogs unless it’s cute dog puns! In fact, we’re pretty sure that even our dogs would be sad (maybe even “mellon collie” 😉) without some dog puns, jokes, and dog wordplay to brighten up the day.
Since we dog lovers have our own breed of language, my pupper and I decided to put together an ulti-mutt list of punny dog puns, puppy puns, and dog play on words. We hope they make you smile…or grrroan.
95+ Dog Puns: The “Ultimutt” list for dog lovers
Why? The other day, my husband mentioned to me that our Happy-Go-Doodle® blog posts and social media included a fair share of dog puns. It’s true. I’m a huge fan of puns. But what about the pups, the dog community at large? Are dog puns a furnomenon across pup culture?
Like a dog after a lone treat under a couch cushion, I dug through pet publications, entertainment, and social media to find out the answer.
Dog culture: A-pup-preciation for dog puns and word play
My conclusion? Fur sure, wordplay and punny language had, well, gone to the dogs! Here are just a few examples of puns and word play that are woven into the furry fiber of the dog world.
- Modern Dog Magazine: With headlines like “Pup-tacular Dog Finds,” this dog-friendly magazine definitely loves a good dog pun.
- Dog brands: Another high paw for puns from dog brands. Here are just a few dog products that put word play into their branding: The Furminator (dog brush), Pawty Box (dog subscription service), Harry Barker (luxury dog accessories).
- Online: Pup yeah, even Google is in on the dog word games with their article, Fetching the Latest in Dog Trends.
- And our own blog posts? We have quite a pack of puns, memes, and feel-good blog humor including these posts: 75 Dog Puns, Memes To Make You Say P’awww 🐾 Which Dog Mom Meme Is So True It’s You? 🐾 20 Happy Dog Memes to Make Your Barkday Brighter
While I have no scientific evidence to explain why puns and pups go together, I’d venture to guess it’s simply because like humor, dogs bring smiles.
Really, it’s impawssible to describe a dog’s silly, goofy, happy, splooty personality without a pun to describe our pup-tacular pooches.
So, for pure doggo wordplay fun and happiness, my pupper and I put our hands and paws to the keyboard and created our own mega list of pup puns and dog play on words.
We hope our ulti-mutt guide brings a smile, a p’awww, or maybe even a grrrrroan.
The ulti-mutt list of punny dog puns
Discover the not-so-secret funny language of dog moms, dog dads, and dog lovers. See how many of these dog puns and play on words you’ve ever heard, read, typed, posted, or muttered.
Cute dog puns and pawsitive play on words
These cute dog puns will come in handy when you’re exclaiming good news or even searching for an Instagram caption…
1. Hop in! We’re going to StarBARKS!
2. How a-dog-able!
4. Paw yeah!
5. Fur sure! Fur real!
6. That’s pawsome!
Cute dog puns about friendship
Dogs are our besties. These puns and playful words are fur the times you want to express your friendship…
7. Fur-iends through thick and thin.
8. We have the ulti-mutt friendship.
9. Best fur-ends
10. The Central Bark (For fans of Friends)
Cute, uplifting, and encouraging dog puns
These cute dog puns are perfect for times when you’re cheering someone up or rooting them on…
11. You’re rebarkable!
12. I love you furry much!
13. It’s paw-ssible!
14. You’re pawtastic!
15. Stay pawsitive!
16. Ap-paws! Ap-paws!
17. What did the motivational speaker tell his dog? Anything’s paws-sible!
Short dog puns
18. You’re puptacular.
19. Pup yeah!
20. Ruff day?
21. Let’s raise the woof!
22. Pawsitively happy
23. Fetch all the fun you can
24. Unleash the fun!
25. That’s tail-riffic!
26. That’s pawtastic!
27. H’EARS to our puppers!
28. With dogs, every day is a day in paw-adise!
29. That’s furtastic!
Dog business puns: Work-related dog puns and wordplay
30. Just another day at the paw-ffice.
31. My dog got a promotion. She’s a branch manager.
32. Is it FriYAY yet? It’s been a ruff week.
33. If I stick to it, I could be branch manager at the paw-ffice.
Dog breed puns
34. It’s pawty time! Let’s terrier it up a little!
35. Why did the dog wear rain boots? He didn’t want to step in a poodle.
36. Why did the Retriever hang out at the hospital? He was waiting for his Lab report.
37. What’s a Labrador’s favorite karaoke song? Don’t Stop Retrieving!
Dog birthday puns and play on words
Try out these happy birthday dog puns and play on words as your planning your next celebration, party, or get together.
38. Happy Bark-day!
39. Where’s the paw-ty?
40. Bring the whole pack!
41. Yappy Birthday
Dog Valentine puns
42. Do you nose I love you?
43. Woof you be mine?
44. I’m only going if I can bring my pawty pup.
45. Yappy Valentine’s Day
46. I chews you, Valentine.
47. Fleas be my Valentine
48. I’m absolutely mutts about you, Valentine!
49. Pupper, you’re paw-tastic, tail-riffic, and fur-abulous!
Searching for more? Check out our mega list of dog valentine puns and sayings. They’re organized by “for the dog” and “from the dog” so you can find the just right message.
Dog Christmas puns for the paw-lidays
Ready for some howl-iday dog humor? Try out these seasonal sayings for a pun-filled Christmas…
50. May your Christmas be hairy and bright.
51. Deck the halls with frisbees and ball-ies…
52. Who’s visiting Santa Paws?
53. Should I sign my holiday cards “Happy Howlidays!” or “Merry Woofmas.” Hmmm…
54. What’s an itchy dog’s favorite Christmas greeting? Fleas navidad.
55. Paws for the holidays
56. Happy Collie-days
57. Oh, Christmas fleas! Oh, Christmas fleas! Looking for more Christmas dog puns? Check out our mega list of dog Christmas puns too!
Dog Halloween puns that are spooktacular
58. Happy HOWL-o-ween!
59. Why do so many Retrievers want to be Cinderella for Halloween? They heard there was a BALL!
60. Halloween? Who’s ready for bone-fide fun!
61. Cutest PUPkin in the patch
Thanksgiving dog puns and fall weather sayings
62. We’re thankful fur our friends.
63. Raking? Just leaf it to me.
64. Happy dog-loving fall, y’all!
Movie dog puns for a yappy ending
Watching a favorite movie with your pupper? These entertaining dog puns are sure to bring a yappy ending…
65. Which is your favorite? Jurassic Bark or The Furminator?
66. We’re watching DogTV! Let’s have some pupcorn!
67. My dog loves watching 101 Dalmatians because it has a yappy ending.
68. Who’s having the pup-peroni pizza?
Celebrity dog names
With all the celebrities listed below, the pup-arrazi are sure to be nearby. (They’re probably taking photos for Vanity Fur.)
69. Jim Howl-pert (The Office)
71. HAIRY Styles
72. HAIRY Potter
73. Bark Zuckerburg
74. Camila Barker
75. The Beagles
76. TAILor Swift
Dog thank-you puns when expressing grrrratitude
Show your pup-preciation with these thank-you puns and phrases that express gratitude…
77. Barking it from the wooftops!
78. Making it barkworthy!
79. Thanks furry much!
Travel-related dog puns
For all your dog-friendly adventures and vacations, unpack these puns…
80. EmBARKing on a new journey.
81. Getting a new LEASH on life!
82. Camping? Bring the “PUP” tent.
83. The only vacations I take are pup-cations!
Dog food puns
Try these funny dog puns out when whipping up a dog treat or serving up a snack…
84. Treat time! Who wants a pupsicle?
86. What’s a dog’s favorite Starbuck’s flavor? Pup-kin spice!
87. Why did the dog eat the toast plain? He liked “pure bread.”
88. What’s a dog’s least favorite vegetables? Fleas and carrots.
89. Pug-kin spice and everything nice
Hot dog puns and corn dog puns
90. What do you call a funny canine? A corny dog
91. Why did the dog practice tossing hot dogs? He wanted to see if he could throw frankfurther.
92. Why did the puppy stop digging in the summer? He didn’t want to be a hot diggity dog.
93. Why did the doggy woof at the hot dog? Because he was all bark and no bite.
Dogs and stick puns, tree puns, and leaf puns
Let’s branch out and enjoy a few dog puns for the stick-carrying dogs in the crowd. Here are smile-bringing dog puns related to nature, trees, leaves, and most importantly, sticks…
94. Let’s stick together
95. Raking? Just “leaf” it to me!
96. What did the squirrel tell the dog? If you’re trying to catch me you’re barking up the wrong tree.
Before you flea this punny dog article…
I tried to stop myself from sharing even one more dog pun. But then I said, “Oh, fur-get it!”
If you’re getting the itch to flea this blog post filled with dog puns and word play, you’ll want to catch these last few dog puns that may make you grrrrroan!
Why did the mice and squirrels stay inside? It was raining cats and dogs.
Why did the dog get ejected from the game? He didn’t agree with the “ruff-eree.”
Finally, h’EARS to all our puppers! Thanks for following along with this little corndog on all of her pup-loving adventures!
Can’t get enough dog puns and dog wordplay?
What’s your favorite puppy pun? We’d love to hear! Please comment below!
Updated for additional content: July 2023