9 Essentials for Happy Outings With Your Dog
As a mom, I’m pretty sure my kids were well into their teens before I stopped carrying a granola bar and a Band-Aid in my purse. As a dog mom, searching my pockets or purse will turn up a poop sack and a dog treat or two. The items may have changed in my journey from parenthood to doodlehood, but the mom skills are still as much a part of me as fetch is to a ball dog.
Are you a “ready for anything” kind of dog mom too?
However, having the treats AND the poop sack AND the water bottle handy before heading out the door…that was the trick I needed to brush up on. I decided it was time to train myself and get organized, so that Happy-Go-Doodle Chloe and I could grab and go have fun!
Choosing a fun outing for you and your dog
In our home, bringing our furry family member along with us is more the rule than the exception. Dogs are family. (If you agree, be sure to read Eight Special Ways You Know Your Dog is Family.) We’ve been known to drum up a reason to head to the pet store, just so we can go somewhere that’s pet-friendly.
Here’s a list of a few quick, spontaneous outings…
- Daily walks
- Pet store stops
- Short walks around the lake
- Eating at pet-friendly restaurants
- Coffee breaks at shops with outdoor patios
Even for short dog-friendly outings, you’ll need to pack a few things
Before heading out the door, even for short outings, there’s gear to pack. I’ve broken it down into categories:
- Chloe’s must-haves
- My must-haves
- Nice-to-haves (but not essential)
- Things we can share
A checklist of 9 essentials for outings with your dog
1. Leash Clipping on the leash is the first thing we do before we heading out the door.
2. Collapsible bowl I received a travel-sized, collapsible water bowl (#3 in image below) as part of the swag bag at the 2017 BlogPaws conference. I love that I can clip it to the zipper of my waist pack.
3. Poop sacks If I don’t have one, somehow Chloe knows! Yikes! Dog mom nightmare 😐
4. Treats Great for reinforcing good behavior and practicing commands.
Dog mom must-haves…
5. Phone Even for walks around the block, it’s reassuring to have it along with me. Plus, I don’t want to miss a photo op!
6. Hand sanitizer Goes hand-in-hand with treats and poop and dogs and families. Also, in the summertime, I’m a mosquito magnet. The all-natural spray (#4 in the photo below) from Wellness Pets is a summertime add-on. (I leaned about all-natural mosquito sprapy while attending the BlogPaws conference.)
7. Waist pack I decided to use a small waist pack or cross body bag, so that my hands would be free to hold Chloe’s leash. I found this one (#8 below) at Target and love the two zippered compartments–one for Chloe and one for me.
8. Water bottle Since I’m bringing a collapsible bowl for Chloe, one reusable water bottle is enough. We can share it.
Not necessary, but nice…
9. Dog bandana It adds a spark of color and looks great in pics! Chloe is happy to wear her bandana.
Must-haves that are always with Chloe…
- Dog collar and tags Chloe wears her collar and current tags (with emergency phone number) everywhere. I hope your dog does, too. It’s peace of mind for a dog mom.
- Microchip Chloe was microchipped when she was a pup. More peace of mind for a dog mom.
Keeping it all handy…
Finally, I’m keeping everything by the door, so we’re always ready for our next fun adventure together! Happy trails and waggy puppy tails!
Do you bring these things along with you? What else?
We’d love to hear. Please comment below.
Ready for more tips? Please join our pack
Doodle kisses and tail wags!