Dogs and 101 More Most-Loved Happy Things
Need a little pick-me-up? Happy things are here for you! For the past few years, I’ve been on the lookout for things that make me happy. Now I’d like to share my happiness collection with you!
Why do some things bring us happiness? Scientists, authors, artists, and even companies like Coca-Cola (with their slogan “open happiness”) have studied the art and science of happiness and tried to discern what makes us happiest. (You’ll get the 4-1-1 as you scroll through the list of happy things below.)
However, I believe there is one source that truly has the pulse on all things happy…
Our canine companions have mastered the art of happiness. They live in the moment. They don’t wonder about the future or ruminate over the past. With their curiosity and love, it seems they hold the key to happiness in their fluffy positive paws!
So, when it came to searching out happy things, I had to look no further than straight down to find tail-wagging, blinky-eyed, wholesome happiness looking up at me…
My Goldendoodle dog Chloe is the epitome of happiness. Which pretty much sums up all dogs.
That’s why the #1 spot on our list of 101 happy things goes to our loveable, smart, live-in-the-moment hounds of happiness.
With Chloe as my inspiration, here are 101 things that make me happy.
101 things that make me happy
#1 Pawsitively happy dogs
You know the happy feeling you get when you walk in the door to a dog who is so happy to see you that their entire body can’t contain the wiggles? That’s the kind of happiness I wish for you.
Dogs are pure joy.
#2 on our list of happy things: Dog smiles
I couldn’t resist making dog smiles #2 on our list of happy things. Yes, dogs embody happiness, but a dog’s smile is happiness 14/10!
Interestingly, according to an article from the NBC News, turning your own frown upside down (smiling when we don’t feel like it) boosts your mood.
If that’s the case, can you imagine what a dog’s upside down smile must do to our happiness levels?!? I’d say it must be over the woof! 😉
Happy Thing #3: Nature
Nature is a mood lifter! If you’re stuck inside right now, we found this happy (and unexpected) “hello” while on a hike and we’d like to share it with you…
#4 on our list of happy things…stirring up fond memories
Anyone else a fan of chocolate chip cookies? Making a batch stirs up both childhood memories of baking cookies with my family and motherhood memories of continuing the tradition by helping my own kids’ mix the cookie dough.
Whether it’s baking, looking at family photos, or recalling memories of helping someone out, nostalgia sparks happiness. (For more details, check out The Greater Good Science Center’s article on kindness.)
Happy thing #5: Digging in the dirt
Do you like digging in the dirt or planting flowers in the spring? Grab your trowel and grow happy! A recent article in Forbes explains why gardening or digging in the dirt brings happiness. In short:
- digging stirs up microbes in the soil
- inhaling microbes stimulates serotonin
- increased serotonin levels = happiness!
#6 on our list of happy things: sunrises and seagulls
There’s nothing like the experience of taking a morning walk on the beach and watching the sunrise. Simple experiences are a source of contentment.
BTW, Science Daily recently reported that spending money on experiences results in more immediate happiness than spending on possessions.
Happy Thing #7: Llama llove…
With eyes as big as saucers and perma-smile mouths, llamas definitely make our list of happy things.
Incidentally, research studies have confirmed that looking at photos of cute things increases our happiness levels. (For more information, read Psychology Today’s recent article: The Power of Cute Things to Make You Feel Better.)
I wonder what would happen if researchers studied humans looking at photos of llamas and Goldendoodles? Oh, my heavens—ooey, gooey, cuteness!
8. Happy thing #8: Warm sunshine and a cool breeze
Add a cool breeze to a sunny day and it’s sure to bring a good case of the happies. (It probably has something to do with what I call “D squared”— the superpowers of vitamin D plus our doggos!)
Happy Thing #9: Coffee
I admit it. Even the very thought of having a morning cup of coffee (with my furry pals) makes me happy!
It turns out I’m not the only one who thinks coffee brings contentment. A recent article in Thrive Global uncovers the science behind having a cup of coffee and how it boosts happiness. (Spoiler alert: coffee stimulates the good stuff in our brain.)
#10 on my list of things that make me happy: a gentle rainfall
The sound of a gentle rain calls me to slow down and take a moment to soak it in. The photo above captures the feelling.
Happy thing #11: My pack…family
I read somewhere that spending time with friends increases our happiness levels by eight percent. Add family, including our four-legged family members, to the mix and we’re lapping up happiness like these two lap up a special treat!
Happy thing #12: The first signs of spring
Getting outside and soaking in the first signs of spring is happiness…
Happy thing #13: Cuddly puppies…
Have you noticed an abundance of puppies in your neighborhood? I haven’t found stats on this yet, but I’m fairly certain that there’s been a puppy boom. If you don’t have a puppy in your life, enjoy this cute puppy pic and see if it boosts your happiness levels.
Happy thing #14: The sound of ocean waves
I’ve heard so many people remark about how much they love the sound of ocean waves lapping against the shore. What is it about the call of the ocean that brings happiness to our hearts?
Happy thing #15: Bright colors
Are the bright colors and dancing water in this photo a mood booster? Artists and interior designers have long been using color as a way to lift our spirits.
Happy thing #16: A beautiful view…
There’s something about an expansive view that makes me happy. If you’d like the 4-1-1 on the location in the pic above, please check out my article on pet-friendly things to do in Eureka Springs.
Happy thing #17: Caring for a pet
Caring for a dog is a joy. After many of Chloe’s bathtime antics, I definitely know what soap tastes like…and that makes me happy!
Happy thing #18: Learning something new
Have you felt happy when learning something new? Like learning to ride a bike as a child, trying something new can feel a little wobbly at first. But then there’s the exhilaration that comes when you gain balance and you’re flying downhill!
Happy thing #19: An unexpected, fleeting moment
I rarely see hummingbirds. So when one zips by, it’s a happy surprise.
Happy thing #20: Punny stuff...
Don’t be sad or even “Mellon Collie!” We didn’t leave punny dog stuff off our list of things that make us happy!
While there are all kinds of smile-bringing humor, canine humor is the ulti-mutt. In fact, life would be ruff without it.
If you’re ready to brighten your day with dog jokes, dog puns, and dog wordplay, check out our lists of 75 dog puns, 50 more dog puns, 20 dog birthday memes, and dog mom memes. They’re so cute you may say “p’awww.” And so punny you may “grrrroan” too. 😉
Happy thing #21: The first snowflake of winter
Are you a fan of winter? Every year I try to embrace cold weather—thanks to my dog’s love for the fluffy white stuff!
The first snowflake of winter that lands on my dog’s nose is happiness.
But I’m even happier for #22…
Happy thing #22: The last snowflake of winter
The last snowflake of winter is happiness too!
(BTW…if you’re in the mood for some feel-good quotes about snowy days, read our list of 10 feel-good quotes about winter.)
Happy thing #23: Comfy things…
Whether it’s a cozy pillow, a fluffy blanket, or my dog’s velvety ear, soft, cozy things make me happy and content.
#24 Happy quotes
Does reading feel-good quotes bring you happiness? This quote summed up a happy afternoon spent photographing a butterfly…
Happiness is a butterfly, which, when pursued is always just beyond our grasp, but which, if you sit down quietly, will light upon you. ~ N. Hawthorne
And this quote from Charles Dickens is a delight…
Happy thing #25: Spreading more happiness…
Our goal at HappyGoDoodle.com is to bring you a smile, a laugh, or an all-out WOOF.
For happiness in your inbox, please subscribe to our email!
75 more happy things
Here are even more happy things. Which ones make you happy?
26 Looking at the moon and stars
27. The cool side of the pillow
28. Visiting a new place
29. When you call customer service and a real person answers
30. Keeping a list of happy things
31. Going for walks
32. Blowing out birthday candles on your cake
33. Adding sliced lemons, limes, or cucumbers to a pitcher of water
34. Planning a trip or vacation
35. Blowing bubbles
36. Eating a colorful summer salad
37. Waking up to the sound of birds singing instead of an alarm clock ringing
38. Getting warm laundry out of the dryer
39. Marveling at just how red strawberries really are
40. Wearing fuzzy bunny slippers all day
41. Nose boops
42. Seeing the bright yellow color of forsythia
43. More coffee
44. Trying to say Rhodendrum three times fast
45. Sitting around a campfire
46. Getting a haircut that makes you feel great
47. Finding a cool shade tree on a hot day
49. Scrolling through all the dog photos on your phone
50. The feeling you get after you workout
51. Breathing in the scent from evergreen trees
52. Seeing someone else smile
53. Coming home
54. Looking at old photos in a memory book
55. When the baby birds successfully leave the nest
56. The first potato chip out of the bag
57. Coming home to a waggy-tailed doggo’s hello
58. Curling your toes in the sand while a wave washes over them
59. The feeling of cozy PJs after a long shower
60. Laughing so much you snort and you don’t even know what’s so funny
61. Finding a happy message written in sidewalk chalk
62. The smell of freshly cut grass
64. Lingering after dinner with the family because the conversation just keeps flowing
66. Kissing the top of a bald head
67. Not having to get dressed up to go to work
68. When your dog lies down on top of your feet
69. Sleeping in
70. Listening to “Better Together” by Jack Johnson
71. The sound of your kids laughing together
72. Going outside and the weather is the perfect temperature
73. Funny videos
74. The first bite of fresh, hot pizza
75. Butterfly kisses
76. Fizzy things and fuzzy things
77. Popping bubble wrap
78. Listening to the sound of waves crashing against the shore
79. Brainstorming all the possibilities
80. Blowing kisses over Facetime
81. Taking photos of happy things
82. When your dog watches other dogs on TV
83. Saying please and thank you
84. Getting a good report from your dog’s veterinarian
85. Getting lost in your work because it’s that fun
86. An icy cold drink of water on a hot, humid day
87. When your dog jumps up on the couch beside you with no regard for personal space
88. Perfectly popped popcorn (with Jr. Mints)
89. Picking out spring plants
90. When the entire family piles in the car…including the dogs
91. A cool morning during a hot summer
92. Lightning bugs
93. Being the first person to make coffee in the morning
94. Sunshine on my face
95. When your dog puts her head on your lap and looks up at you with “those eyes”
96. Peace and quiet
97. Bird songs
98. The longest day of the year
99. Teaching a dog a new trick and learning a new trick in the process
100. Creating something that makes other people smile
101. Crossing a to-do off the list
102. Enjoying endless games of fetch
What things make you happy?
Please pass the happy! We’d love to hear from you!