165 Nature Dog Names For Outdoor Enthusiasts
Are you looking for nature dog names? Mountain-related dog names? Wildflower dog names? Dog names that are inspired by the natural beauty of our world? Then we’re happy you’re here.
Choosing a name for your puppy is probably at the top of your new puppy checklist, and it’s one of the many exciting choices you’ll be making for your puppy’s future.
With over 165 nature-inspired dog names (along with meanings) on our list, you’re well on your way to making a choice that’s perfect for your pup.
As the mom of a dog who can’t get enough outdoor adventures, we love getting outside and enjoying nature. As Chloe and I were taking a walk, I started brainstorming a mega list of dog names inspired by our wonderful world—everything from the plants that grace our walking trails to the sunshine peeking through the clouds.
If you’re an outdoor enthusiast, this mega list is for you. But before you get started, here are a few things to know:
- With some exceptions, the names on this list have two syllables. From my research on the science behind choosing a name for your dog, I found some dog experts prefer two-syllable names because they allow for more inflection when spoken. (If you’d like to learn more, check out Psychology Today’s article on the principles of dog naming.)
- In addition to listing dog names inspired by nature, I created sub-categories to help you in your search. All 150+ names are organized by theme: mountain dog names, tree names for dogs, animal names for dogs, plant names for dogs, and earthy names for pets.
- I sorted some into nature-inspired girl dog names and nature-inspired boy dog names.
- Also, for even more puppy name inspiration, please check out our other lists: Best Dog Names Ending in Y or IE , Red Dog Names, Christmas Dog Names, golf dog names, fishing dog names, and country, western, southern dog names.
Nature-themed dog names inspired by mountains
- Alpine ~ Relating to high mountains
- Denali ~ Mountain peak in North America
- Everest ~ Highest mountain above sea level
- Fuji ~ Highest mountain in Japan
- Little Bear ~High mountain peak in the Rocky Mountains
- Olympus ~ Highest mountain in Greece
- Summit ~ Highest point of a mountain or hill
Nature dog names: Plant and wildflower names for dogs 🌸
- Alfalfa ~ Fields of alfalfa are common in the countryside. This nature-inspired name could be shortened to “Alfi.”
- Alyssum ~ Inspired by Sweet Alyssum, which is a delicate flower.
- Basil ~ An herb in the mint family.
- Berry ~ Inspired by all edible fruit.
- Bluebell ~ A spring wildflower.
- Buttercup ~ A yellow wildflower and used in the phrase, “What’s up Buttercup?”
- Clover ~ Especially cute dog name for those who know that dogs are our lucky four-leaf clovers.
- Coral ~ Inspired by Coral Bells, a North American native plant.
- Daisy ~ A wildflower.
- Dutch ~ Inspired by Dutchman’s Breeches, a native wildflower common in parts of the United States.
- Flora ~ Plants of a particular region.
- Fern ~ Non-flowering lacy plant with lacy fronds. (See image above)
- Iris ~ A colorful flower.
- Ivy ~ A lovely ground creeping plant.
- Lavender ~ A flowering plant.
- Marigold ~ A flower the color of sunshine. For a creative twist, you could give your dog a first and middle name instead: “Mary Gold”
- Peaches ~ A sweet fruit.
- Peony ~ A flowering plant with large, beautiful blossoms.
- Pepper ~ Inspired by all kinds of pepper plants.
- Pumpkin ~ A fall harvest icon and a term of endearment.
- Poppy ~ A colorful red flower.
- Truffle ~ A type of mushroom.
- Sweet Pea ~ A fragrant, colorful flower.
- Sundrop ~ A bright yellow flower.
- Zinnea ~ A cheerful, bright flower.
Loving this list? Check out our guide to 100 more flower dog names.
Nature dog names inspired by trees and forests 🌳
- Aspen ~ A tree with uniquely heart-shaped leaves.
- Cedar ~ An evergreen tree.
- Chestnut ~ A tall tree with toothed leaves.
- Forest ~ Land filled with trees.
- Grover ~ Inspired by the word “grove,” which is a group of trees.
- Leaf ~ 🍁.
- Linden ~ A deciduous tree with heart-shaped leaves.
- Maple ~ A majestic tree known for colorful beauty. Also, a fun name for dogs who are sweet as maple syrup.
- Oakley ~ Inspired by the oak tree.
- Willow ~ A wispy tree often found by ponds and lakes. The soft, lilting sound of this nature-inspired dog name seems particularly fitting for female dogs.
Nature dog names inspired by animals 🐻
- Angel ~ Inspired by the angelfish.
- Bear ~ Of course, this name is based on the shaggy-haired mammals, but it could also fit for dogs with “teddy bear” cuteness.
- Bluey ~ Inspired by bluegill.
- Bunny ~ Pairs well with “Snuggle.” So you can say sweet things to your new puppy like, “You’re my little Snuggle Bunny.”
- Buck ~ A male deer.
- Cougar ~ Known to be skilled and cunning, “Cougar” could be a fitting name for a stealthy canine companion.
- Eagle ~ A bird that’s a symbol of strength and freedom. Need more patriotic names? 140+ Patriotic Dog Names would be a fun place to look.
- Gator ~ Short for alligator.
- Hawk ~ A strong, powerful bird.
- Mallard ~ A type of duck.
- Moose ~ Fitting nature-inspired name for large dogs.
- Robin ~ A bird.
- Otter ~ Otters are smart, playful, and powerful swimmers making the name “Otter” a good choice for Retrievers, Spaniels, and other dogs that love water.
- Tiger ~ Largest among the cat family.
- Wren ~ A small bird, “Wren” may be a good name for a small, sweet dog.
Loving this list? Check out our guide to 110+ fishing dog names.
Nature dog names inspired by the land, water, natural landscapes, and minerals 🌾🐚
- Ainsley ~ Hermitage wood or clearing (Scottish).
- Bayou ~ A slow moving creek. Also, when spoken, the name “Bayou” sound like “by-you” giving it a sweet meaning. “By you” is where most dogs want to spend their time. “Stay, Bayou.” “Sit, Bayou.”
- Brook or Brooks ~ A small stream.
- Canyon ~ A deep river valley.
- Clay ~ A natural soil.
- Dakota ~ Both states are rich in natural beauty .
- Dune ~ A mound of sand formed by wind.
- Farley ~ A woodland clearing.
- Frontier ~ An uninhabited region. This nature-inspired name could be appropriate for a dog who loves to explore.
- Glacier ~ A large mass of ice.
- Geyser ~ A hot spring that boils and causes water to shoot in air.
- Geo ~ Means “of or relating to the earth.”
- Glen ~ A valley with gentle, sloping sides.
- Golden ~ Inspired by the time of day when the sun casts a golden glow across the earth. Photographers cal this the “golden hour.”
- Granite ~ A type of rock. There are granite cliffs in Yosemite Valley and other picturesque natural environments.
- Hilly ~ Containing many hills.
- Islet – A very small island. “Islet” could be a sweet name for a small dog.
- Jade ~ A gemstone.
- Jasper ~ A gemstone.
- Knoll ~ A small hill.
- Lake ~ A body of water. “Lake” could be a fitting name for a water-loving dog.
- Marble ~ A type of rock.
- Marsh ~ A grassy wetland.
- Meadow ~ An open field with grass and wildflowers.
- Mesa ~ Land with a flat top.
- Montana ~ A state known for its natural beauty.
- Oasis ~ Green area in desert region. Many dogs are an “oasis” for their dog parents.
- Pebbles ~ Tiny rocks.
- Pingo ~ Earth-covered ice.
- Prairie ~ An open area of grassland.
- Ria ~ A coastel inlet.
- Riviera ~ A coastal region with a tropical climate. If this nature-inspired dog name is your favorite, you could consider “Rivi” as a nickname.
- River ~ A large stream of water.
- Sandy ~ Inspired by long dog walks on sandy beaches. For more beach related names check out 155 + Best Beach Dog Names.
- Savanna ~ A grassy plain in a tropical area.
- Seacoast ~ Land adjoining or near the sea.
- Silver ~ A soft metal with a luster. Could be a good name for dogs with a grey coat color.
- Terra ~ Latin for earth.
- Topaz ~ A golden brown to yellow stone. “Topaz” is a fitting name for Golden Retrievers, Goldendoodles, Yellow Labs, and other dogs with golden, yellow, or light brown coat colors.
- Tundra ~ An arctic region.
- Vale ~ A valley.
- Valley ~ A low area between hills.
Nature-inspired names for female dogs 💕
- Amber ~ A mineral with a golden hue.
- Angelica ~ A wildflower.
- Aria ~ Means air.
- Ava ~ Latin for “bird.”
- Blossom ~ Flower.
- Birdie, Birdy ~ Cute form of “bird.”
- Brook ~ A tiny stream.
- Crystal ~ Well-organized molecular structures. Snow crystals and colored minerals are two examples of the beauty of crystals.
- Cherry ~ Sweet, red fruit.
- Hazel ~ A shrub or small tree.
- Heather ~ A fragrant flower that often grows on mountain cliffs.
- Holly ~ A plant with red berries.
- Lani ~ Hawaiian word for sky.
- Lilac ~ A woodland plant with fragrant flowers.
- Lilly ~ Inspired by the Lilly-of-the-Valley, a delicate flower.
- Opal ~ A gemstone.
- Pearl ~ A popular gemstone.
- Rose ~ For the zoomie-loving dog, “Wild Rose” may be fitting.
- Stella ~ Means “Star.”
- Susan ~ Inspired by the Black-Eyed Susan, a wildflower.
- Violet ~ A purple wildflower.
If you liked these girl names, you may also like our other lists:
Male dog names inspired by nature 💙
- Bud, Budding, or Buddy ~ The young part of a plant that will turn into a leaf or flower.
- Dakota ~ The Dakota states are both known for natural beauty.
- Denver ~ Means green valley.
- Falcon ~ Bird known for hunting skills.
- Huckleberry ~ A small, round berry.
- Jack ~ Inspired by Jack in the Pulpit, a wildflower.
- Mater ~ Short for tomato.
- Montana ~ State known for natural beauty.
- Oli or Oliver ~ Inspired by the olive tree, which is Latin for nature loving.
- Onyx ~ A type of agate, often black.
- Oscar ~ Means “friend of deer.”
- Pluto ~ Considered a dwarf planet.
- Ranger ~ Keeper of a park or forest.
- Rocky ~ Inspired by the Rocky Mountains.
- Simba ~ Means “lion.”
- Stormy ~ A type of weather.
- Timber ~ Trees in a forest.
- Teddy ~ A nickname for “Bear.”
- Shadow ~ Perfect for dogs who like to stay by your side.
- Wilder ~ More wild.
- Woody or Woodsy ~ Inspired by sights and sounds in the woods.
- Zephyr ~ Greek name meaning “west wind.”
If you liked these male dog names, you may also like:
Nature dog names inspired by the weather, air, sky, and seasons 🌅
- Aurora ~ A natural light display.
- Autumn ~ A season known for beautiful foliage and color.
- Andromeda ~ A spiral galaxy nearest the Milky Way.
- Breezy ~ A gentle wind.
- Cirrus ~ A type of cloud formation.
- Cloudy ~ Inspired by billowy and white clouds, “Cloudy” makes a great name for fluffy dogs.
- Comet ~ A celestial body.
- Cosmos ~ A harmonious universe.
- Gemini ~ A constellation.
- Luna ~ Latin for moon.
- Misty ~ A type of gentle rain.
- Moonbeam ~ A ray of moonlight.
- Nova ~ A star showing sudden brightness.
- Rainy ~ ☔️.
- Sky ~ Vast and seen from the earth.
- Snowy ~ Dog parents who choose this weather-related name often have white dogs.
- Star ~ Luminous in the night sky. Star is a perfect name for a dog who brings a bright light of joy to your life.
- Stormy ~ A type of inclement weather.
- Summer ~ In North America, this season is a time of sunshine and warmth. Love summer names? Check out my mega list of summer dog names.
- Sunny ~ “Sunny” is not only a type of weather, but also a term used to describe an optimistic outlook. If your dog has a “sunny” disposition, this may be the nature dog name that is a perfect fit for your dog.
- Sunshine ~ Yellow and warm, this name conveys optimism and warmth.
- Windy ~ A type of breezy weather.
- Winter ~ In North America, this season is known for snow and cold temperatures. This nature dog name may be perfect for dogs who love snow and winter adventures.
We hope we’ve helped you find the perfect name for your outdoorsy pup! If you’re ready for all the good news about dogs, please sign up to receive our latest pupdates! We’d love to have you as part of our pack.
Check out our Goldendoodle puppy supply list. The list includes everything you’ll need for your puppy. Teething toys. Goldendoodle accessories. Dog crates. Grooming tools. It’s all compiled for you right here.
What names are you considering for your new puppy?
Please comment below.